7.30.2009

Orphan


Warner Bros. new horror movie Orphan proclaims that it must be hard to love an adopted child as much as your own. Let me tell you about how an orphan changed my life...

.

.

.

This is Luca.

.

.

.

She looks harmless enough, doesn't she?

.

.

.
Sweet round face.

.

.

.
Big brown eyes.

.

.

.
Teeny as a peanut.

.
.
.

Cute as a button.

.

.

.

But there's another side of the story.

.

.

.

Oh yes, this sweet little thing turned my world upside down.

.

.

.

Don't believe me? I'm not kidding!

.

.

.

Before the thought of her, life was comfortable...at times even boring!

.

.

.

And then she showed up...a master of disguise.

.

.

.

In a tiny little package of giggles and kisses, her existence told a horrifying tale. A tale of mothers lying with their babies, watching their bodies fail, seeing them writhe in pain and eventually forget even how to crave food for basic nourishment. A tale of children like yours and mine whispering a final goodbye to their mommies and daddies, sometimes ushering them to their own death from a disease which should have been easily treated with medication and healthcare not made available to them. A tale of poverty which simply SHOULD NOT EXIST in the same world as $8000 vacations and $50,000 cars. It simply should not. Period.

.

.

.

Sure, I had plans for the house, the car, the big screen.

.

.

.

But suddenly things changed.

.

.

.

Price tags mocked me.

.

.

.

$40,000 car?

.

.

.
Two lives.



.

.

.

$10,000 vacation, over in 2 weeks?
.


.

.
Clean, life-giving, disease-free water for an entire village.


.

.

.

I was completely wrecked.

.

.

.

Forever.

.

.

.

Sure, I had heard the stories about "starving children in Ethiopia," and I may have even finished a few plates of food in honor of them (for which I'm sure they are just eternally grateful). Eyeroll.

.

.

.

But this small child before me woke me from long and colorless slumber. She made my heart beat in unison with God's heart. She made me care about the things that God cares about. She demonstrated strength and forgiveness for life to a degree that I simply could not have imagined existed in any person.

.

.

.

And then she took my hand.

.

.

.

And she looked into my eyes.

.

.

.

And she gave herself to me.

.

.

.

And I was her mother.

.

.

.

And I was stronger.

.

.

.

And better.

.

.

.

And braver.

.

.

.

And no longer asleep.

.

.

.

And alive like never before.

.

.

.

Empowered.

.

.

.

Enlightened.

.

.

.

Passionate.

.

.

.

Changed.

.

.

.

.

.

.

"It is a poverty that a child must die so that we may live as we wish."

-Mother Theresa-

.

.

.

.

.

"...once our eyes are opened, we can't pretend we don't know what to do. God, who weighs our hearts and keeps our souls, knows that we know, and holds us responsible to act."

-Proverbs 24:12-

.

.

.

.

p.s. Warner Bros., SHE IS MY OWN!!!!

.

.

____________________________________________________
.

Join me in defending the cause of the orphan...From Tom Davis' blog:

This is an opportunity to defend the cause of the orphan. But instead of cursing the darkness, lets put the truth on display.



Tom is challenging his readers and friends to write 500 positive blog posts about how an orphan has impacted and changed your life. Post this on your own blog so that when people search for the movie, they are flooded with positive messages about adoption and orphan care.



Just finish this sentence: "Warner Bros. new horror movie Orphan proclaims that it must be hard to love an adopted child as much as your own. Let me tell you about how an orphan changed my life..."



This is the heart of defending orphans. Help push back the darkness and deceit here by holding up as an example the powerful love that adoption and orphan care can unleash.



Here's how you can defend the orphan:

1. Write a "positive protest post" on your blog that references the movie, Orphan.

2. Focus on your orphan care or adoption story that is positive, redeeming and full of love.


4. Send out an email, Facebook message, or tweet to get others to do the same thing on their blogs.

3 comments:

MKH said...

Your best post yet-just awesome

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this post! I have defended my orphan as well thanks to you!!

Debbie said...

Cari,

You leave me crying again. I thank God for the heart he has given you. You make me so proud to be your mama. This post takes my breath away. I have read it over and over again. Best sermon I have heard in a very long time.

Mom