12.20.2009

.
I’ve always loved a Christmas tree.
.
.
.
.
I could forever live in that magical moment when a Christmas tree is plugged in and warm, colorful brilliance fills the room.
.
.
.
.
It’s magnificent.
.
.
.
.
Each ornament is hung with a flood of memories.
.
.
.
.
Some of them make me feel 8 years old, my cheeks rosy and warm from the woodstove, the smell of snow and pine and home in the air, the anticipation of Christmas and a trip to Grandma’s consuming my every thought. It was then that I first hung some of these ornaments.
.
.
.
When I look at this one, I can hear my mom’s old sewing machine, the motor humming loudly with what seemed like impatient anticipation as she slowly inched the needle up and down into the fabric to carefully outline the shapes on the fabric, the metal foot pedal clicking against the wood floor. One Christmas she made no less than 500 of these ornaments as gifts (okay, so maybe I’m exaggerating a tad on the number), and this one found a home on our family tree and quickly became a favorite.
.
.
.
Others remind me of old friends who have crossed our paths along the way who left footprints which will always remain. This one came from friends who were missionaries in Mexico, the place where I found myself and my salvation while on the FIRST (certainly not LAST) “ride of a lifetime” adventure with my dad. This missionary later stood before a YOUNG bride and groom at a church in Wisconsin and asked “do you?” (We did).
.
.
.
Some ornaments remind me of new friends, as lovely new ornaments grace the tree each year and create a new set of memories for the years to come. This one was made by my friend Ginger who moved to the area this year and with whom Brenin has found a soul mate with her 6 year old daughter. We’re so grateful for our amazing set of friends who inspire and support (and entertain!) us!
.
.
.
This one makes me smile every time I see it and most likely has traveled the farthest to reach our beautiful tree. It came from our dear sons in Taiwan and represents a bond which has surprised us and changed us and blessed us so richly over the years. We miss you guys so much!
.
.
.
I love to look at the ornaments which remind me so much of the people who gave them to us that it feels like you’ve seen them just by looking at it. This one was from my Aunt Cindy, and I think of her all the time when I see it. It is so her, and it is beautiful (as is she!)
.
.
.

Some ornaments remind me of loved ones who have passed on but were the essence of my childhood Christmases, like these decadent pieces which came from my Great Aunt Lorraine. She left enough of them to decorate all of our trees, and I know she would love that we all love them. This woman cut my meat at the Christmas dinner table until I was at least 14 years old. She was the aunt who pinched my cheeks and left lipstick lip marks on them. Christmas just wouldn’t be Christmas without her, and these ornaments represent her in a most beautiful way.
.
.

.
.
.
.
Some ornaments remind me of our early years in marriage when we would add a little to our own collection each year. We were in college and working hard and livin’ on love (Love me some Alan Jackson!) They were learning years (aren’t they all?) and precious and sweet in their own right.

.
.
.
Then came the babies…Brenin stalked this one from her walker her first Christmas. When I see it, I see her chubby little fingers reaching for it, her eyes wide and her little legs struggling for ground beneath her. Something about it made her love it, and one day it will hang on her Christmas tree and make her feel warm and fuzzy and 8 years old.

.
.
.
Some ornaments are clearly Luca and most likely are hung in a bunch on the bottom 3 feet of our tree. She really doesn’t see the need to spread them out much and pulls out each Dora one like it is the most precious gem and sets to work finding the perfect place to hang it (preferably 1 cm away from the last Dora ornament she hung 30 seconds ago). Wink

.
.
.
Some ornaments are intricate in design and you don’t realize it’s there until you’ve studied the tree for a while.

.
.
.
Others are so colorful, you can’t help but feel happy when you look at them.

.
.
.
Some represent us.

.
.
.
Some inspire us.

.
.
.
Some remind us where we came from.
.
.
.
And some celebrate where we are.

.
.
.
.
All of them fill my heart with gratitude for what or who they
represent, and I’m in awe of God’s blessings and beauty.
.
.
MERRY CHRISTMAS!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great post! Merry Christmas to you and your fabulous family!

Reedsburg Area Quilt Guild said...

Cari,

This was the best Christmas card you could have made. You should post a link on facebook. Made me cry AGAIN!!!!

Mom