9.09.2010

Ringing the 'ol School Bell!


First day of School this week! 

Brenin - 2nd grade




Luca - Kindergarten




We're leaping into learning in our frogalicious classroom!
























They're even hanging from the ceiling! 




I splurged on some nice maps to hang this year.  They've been surprisingly fun to explore and have opened up an array of conversations and state/country finding! 




They're large print and super easy to read, shiny and appealing to the eye!









The girls learned about continents this week, and we found some fun continent songs to sing and point to as we sang their names.  I taught both the girls the same content, but at different levels.  For example, it was a big deal for Luca to learn the word continent and grasp the concept of what it is on the world map, while Brenin was able to memorize the names of all 7 continents in the same lesson. 




I also set up a bookshelf with a bunch of learning toys/tools on it to be readily available for play.  I couldn't believe how interested they were in pulling the shelves apart and playing with their contents as soon as I set it up, just simply because they were in eye-shot!  I got this idea from the library because they always highlight books by standing them on top of the shelves, and for some reason I always want to check those books out!  I think they're on to something!  :-) 














Story cubes for reading comprehension.




I even found a few of MY old favorites to use this year too...anyone remember playing this??  It's gotten a lot fancier than what I used to play, and Brenin is LOVING it! 
 



Learning to manage TWO pupils this year has been a challenge.  I'm finding as always that organization is my friend.  I've planned ahead more than before and have a lot more hands-on learning ideas and tools to keep the juices flowing! 




A few school supplies. 




 Luca doesn't really need the chunkiness of these "first"
pencils, but I couldn't stand how cute they were! 















I'm encouraged by our first week and excited to
explore the world with my 2 beauties this year! 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is one amazing classroom! I would love to be a fly on the wall. I have no doubts that you are an amazing teacher!! You have 2 super cute students!