5.18.2009

Weekend Update

I had a very rare treat this weekend in some time ALONE!!!! (gasp!) We had planned to go as a family to IKEA near Chicago, but Danny decided it would be easier to keep an eye on the girls at home rather than a big boring department store, so I ended up on the open road ALONE (do I sound excited about this idea?) All the way there, I listened to my own music (none of which involved singing puppets or kazoo solos) at decibels too dangerous for childrens' ears.
It was fabulous.



As if the day couldn't have gotten better, I got to meet my good friend Nyad for some yummy lunch at Stir Crazy (which we drove to in her cute convertible)! Nyad moved back to Chicago last year, and I have missed getting into trouble with her SO much. We worked on so many projects together while she lived here, but one of my favorite memories is her and I camped out in her basement with super delux hot chocolate (one of her many culinary specialties), trying to get up the nerve to call families of prisoners for the Prison Fellowship gift tree. No matter what we're working on, there's always food and always laughter. She is one strong and amazing chick and is even training to run in a marathon to raise money for clean water!!! (woohoo!)
.
Thanks for the amazing lunch, my friend...see you in June!



Me and Nyad at Stir Crazy
(where you can NOT leave your purse at the table)
.
.
.
In other news, I decided last minute to put a relaxer in Luca's hair on Friday night. Proof, once again, that I have no idea what I'm doing, I thought the relaxer would simply loosen her curls a bit for a slightly different style. Imagine my surprise when I washed the relaxer out and found STICK STRAIGHT hair!!!!! I felt terrible, but rest assured the curls will return and I have learned my lesson (the hard way) about relaxers. She looks gorgeous, of course,
and is enjoying the change. I took the opportunity to give her her first American haircut (a much needed trim).
.
Hang in there, Luca...mommy's a work in progress.
.
Cuteness.
.
.


First Haircut

4 comments:

Debbie said...

SO good to see Nyad again if even only through pictures. Hi, if you see this Ny.

Luca would look gorgeous if you turned her hair orange, but we girls always like a change in that area. I am sure it was another adventure she embraced with grace and courage. Honestly, she looks wonderful.

Mom/Grandma

MKH said...

hey! congrats on your time alone! And turning up the radio in your car-you crazy girl! Luca looks absolutely beautiful!! You are doing a great job girl!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great trip!! Alone time is GREAT!! Too funny about the relaxer. She still looks precious as always!

Myriah said...

AHHH...NYAD...I miss that girl SO much...do you have her contact info? Luca is such a cutie! Didn't we have the "no kids in the car conversation" one time when I got to come to church alone!? I cherish those times! Great blog Cari...it's been great to catch up on what's happening with you guys. Talk to you soon!