5.07.2009

Hair

You won’t see a lot of blog posts by me about hair. First of all, it probably wouldn’t be very interesting for you to read. Second, I wouldn’t have much to write because I’m rather clueless in the area. And finally, I was impressed once with an African American woman’s blog when she said that we need to be careful of the attitude we take towards our children’s hair (referring to the unique set of conditions required for healthy maintenance of ethnic hair and the general sense of anxiety amongst the community of Caucasian parents of African children). She encouraged her readers that our children’s hair should not be looked at as something that needs to be “fixed” or changed or as a challenge or problem to be solved, but rather a beautiful part of their bodies and as an extension of that, a beautiful part of their heritage and something that for many is met with great pride. This was insight I obviously could not have come by naturally, and it transformed my (admittedly) initial anxiety or feelings of incompetence regarding my daughter’s hair care.

Since coming home, we’ve taken great joy in Luca’s beautiful locks, and I feel like I have a new doll to play with! Though I’m used to Brenin’s silky, almost slippery wisps (try getting that into a pony tail holder…like “catching a cloud and pinning it down!”), Luca’s hair is very full and “moldable” and lends easily to creativity and FUN. Yesterday was one of my first attempts at something especially creative, and I think it turned out pretty cute (which excited me greatly because let’s face it, I have the flattest hair on Earth and really have no clue what to do with all this hair on one head!)




For those interested, I highly conditioned, separated into segments, pony-tailed, twisted from the base, and clipped with a small barrette (wrapping the ends around the clamp before clipping shut). Doesn’t she just look like a party!!!

With a little research, I also found beautiful descriptions of early braiding as symbols of courage, honor, wisdom, love and strength and as identifiers of clans, villages, status (bride, etc.) and faith.

I feel fortunate to be able to share in such a rich part of Luca’s heritage, as as much as she has become part of us, we have become part of her.

“Mama’s hair was ready, and she stood up and turned
around in front of the mirror like she was goin to dance or something…

Then she bent down and kissed me on the head.

And she said: I delight in telling you,
my child-

Yes, you please me when you ask it-

It’s a hairstyle that’s called suku.

In Yoruba, it means basket.

I asked Mama, ‘What will you put in the basket,
Mama?”

And she said, “I think I’ll put love.”

"If I fall down will the love go
away?”

“Oh, noooo, my darling!” she said. “Because
the love, like the basket, will be a part of you.”

From “Cornrows” by Camille Yarbrough



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the hair do!! It looks so cute!! Really impressive, friend!!

Jessica P said...

You did a great job! Her hair looks adorable!! :)

Elizabeth said...

Adorable! Let me recommend the book "Curly Girl," by Lorraine Massey to you. It's all about how to properly take care of curly hair, and to love it, and there are two great chapters on African hair and children with curly hair. :)

Elizabeth Keller
Mary Jo's daughter