1.07.2010

This week in our Native American studies, we learned about choosing a "camp name" and the ceremony involved.  We decided to choose a Native American name and hold a ceremony of our own! 

Here's my Ethiopian daughter playing a Ugandan drum in a Native American ceremony in my kitchen (phew...chalk that up to yet another sentence I never imagined myself saying/typing!)





Ni-da-wi (Fairy Girl) taking herself VERY seriously during the ceremony. 





Beautiful Whak-cha (Flower)





When Brenin is fully immersed in what we're learning, it's all over her face. 
What a gift to witness these moments with her!



In case you're wondering, the chief mama's name, Wate-win, means "victory woman," and the chief daddy's name (chosen by the female population) wasn't revealed to him until the very end of the ceremony and means "little turtle."  (hehe...still funny.)



_____________________________________________________



Today was a bit of a harrowing day.  We took my dad to the hospital for a procedure in a rather unexpected snowstorm, and when we arrived the EMT starting his IV invited the kids to watch.  A moment later, Brenin started to feel sick and thought she might throw up!  The nurses ran for a garbage can, some towels and a cool beverage.  We moved the party (wink) into the bathroom where she proceeded to become limp, PALE white, cold and sweaty!  The girl was about to PASS OUT!!!  In came the nurses (my sister included...thank God she was there to tell me what was going on!) with blankets.  She laid down and elevated her legs and before long was back to herself.  She's never done this before, so it was quite a shock.  It was a little cute though because it's exactly what my dad would do if he closely observed someone getting an IV.  Definitely Grandpa's girl! 

Meanwhile, Luca was in a crisis of her own (yes, at the very same time!).  When she saw the room Dad was waiting to go to surgery in, something in her was triggered and she was overcome by fear.  She stopped dead in her tracks at the door, and when I picked her up, she desperately clung to me to the point I had to loosen her grip around my neck.  She was obviously terrified and looked like she was going to cry the entire time!  I kept asking her why she was scared, and all she would say is, "I don't like it here."  I thought she was afraid SHE might get a shot like Grandpa was and tried to reassure her, but nothing seemed to help.  When we got home hours later, I asked her again why she was so scared at the hospital, and she hugged my neck and looked up at me and said, "I just want to stay with you." 



Wow. 



Something in her set of memories correlated the clinical setting with a goodbye...a very big goodbye.



It was a "smackintheface" moment (am I ever 'gonna see these comin'??)



It's so easy to forget that Luca has lived a lifetime before she joined our family because it really feels like she's been here forever. 

It's simply not natural for me to assume the things she thinks about or goes through emotionally at any given experience because what she's already experienced shouldn't be natural for any child.  I'm working hard to create an open dialogue with Luca so she can feel safe to share these feelings with me so that I can begin to carry some of their weight.  I can't say I'll always (or even often) have that great piece of wisdom she needs to hear at the moment, and I know I won't always remember all the wonderful tools I've spent hours reading about from other mommies and daddies who have traveled this road before me, but I will hold her close each time and remind her of these simple yet life altering truths, that I am hers and she is mine and that will ALWAYS be.  If I deliver this message a million times, I will never tire of it. 

It's the end of the story and also the beginning. 






On a side note, school was called off early due to the snow, and since we were in town already, we offered to pick up my nephew Tucker from school.  After picking him up and heading back to the waiting room, I set up some coloring for the kids to keep them busy. 



A while later I examined the kids' creations and had to smile when I saw Tucker's version of Huckleberry Pie. 



He's brown. 



Not because Tucker's brown and everything
he creates has to look just like him. 

Not because he's learning about diversity
and has to complete a project. 

Not because he's making it for Luca or
other person with brown skin. 



But because it's beauty in his eyes. 



I love that kid. 


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The ceremony pictures are priceless! I hope that your Dad is ok. That breaks my heart to read about sweet Luca. You are an amazing mother, and you are lucky to have one another. I know you will be there for her ALWAYS when memories are triggered or fear shows itself to your precious girl! Hugs to you both!

Debbie said...

Amazing post Cari. It is interesting to hear the reason Luca reacted the way she did in the hospital. I would have never guessed, but it makes sense. I never tire of your writing. Makes me cry or laught every time. You must send Oprah your blog address. Love, Mom

Kristin said...

Love the pictures. That is one day at the hospital, I will not soon forget. haha. My aspirations for another nurse in the family are gone though.lol She will be hearing this story for many years to come. You did a great job of showing the girls that we are here for our family today, even when it is not that fun or comfortable. Way to stick with the Mommy's gut feelings on Luca. She was clearly going through something today but it was evident of your bond as she was clearly comforted by your reassurance and support. Thanks for picking up Tucker today, and thank you for your beautiful and ever apparent influence in his life:) Mom is right....your words are pure tears and laughter to read.

MKH said...

oh boy, those girls are going to keep you on your toes!! when it rains, it pours!!