3.13.2010

Run, Cari, Run! (read with Forrest Gump accent)



I’ll be running my first 5K tomorrow morning at 10 a.m.!
 Here’s a little summary of the week’s thought process on the matter: (just in case you were dying to know)
Sunday:  Oh look. That 5K’s only a week away now. That sure came up fast.
Monday: Ah, a good solid week of running ahead. I can DO this!

Wednesday: Is it Wednesday already????
Thursday: Ummmm...guys?  I think I might be in a little bit of trouble here! 
Friday:  I think I'm ill.
Saturday am:   help
Saturday pm: (trembling in the fetal position).



Pray.  




Seriously.





In honor of the event and the ridiculous boredom which ensued on a treadmill in preparation, I wrote this poem.  It's painfully good, so prepare yourself.  ;-)  (just kidding)


Pedometers, speedometers, Spandex, oh my!
Signed in for a 5K, why oh why?!? (I blame Shannon, by the way…)


My feet hit the pavement and I feel a little wiggle.

Things begin to jiggle that never used to jiggle!

Ne'er an athlete, at least I could skip.
I tried it this week and threw out my hip! 

I'm beginning to think this idea wasn't so great.
There must be a better way to lose this baby weight. 
**Disclaimer:  The author is fully aware that her first baby was born 7 years ago and her second on a completely different continent but still reserves the right to call it "baby weight...it's called 'artistic license,' people!"

What more can I say?  What more can I do?
Maybe I can say I came down with the flu!

Or measles or mumps or chicken pox galore,
Or the dog took my running shoes right out the door!

I'm digging deep now and know I'll find the strength, 
To run this first race, no matter it's length.

I'll see my babies cheering me on in the crowd,
And make them and their mommy ever so proud.

They'll see me struggle adn work for my goal.
They'll tuck that lesson deep in their soul.

I'll breathe a sigh of relief when I cross that finish line.
I'll check my pulse rate at five-ninety-nine. 

Collapsed in a pile on the blacktop bare, (I'm just being realistic here, folks). 
I'll thank God for that moment, so proud and so rare!


Pictures to follow!  Happy Sunday everyone! 

2 comments:

Debbie said...

Brilliant and funny poem Cari. I am praying for you and as proud as your daughters, husband and father. You are an inspiration in so many ways. As always, my hero.

Jessica P said...

You make me laugh... even on a Monday morning !!